Saturday, May 8, 2021

Week from hell! Emergency Room Date Night

This week has been a freaking nightmare!! Most stressful week of my life I'd say. Blake had not been feeling well for like 8 or 9 days. We figured it was from detoxing, as he had recently been in to see our Naturopath and got a new supplement for digestion and parasites. But he developed a high fever and refused to go in. He eventually got so weak he could barely walk and I was like "umm, no, this is ridiculous!" I had a fit and threatened him with an ambulance. So, off we went to urgent care. Cam was also not feeling well. The doctor walked in our room and said "I can see you (pointing to Cam), but you, sir (Blake), are not going to be my patient because you have blue lips and need to go to the hospital!" I looked down and sure enough he did have blue lips! What?! Within 1 minute of her saying that he collapsed backwards in his chair onto my arm, went an even worse color, and starting seizing. It was absolutely terrifying. He was in and out of consciousness and was also having trouble breathing. She yelled to the other staff to grab oxygen and tylenol. Blake was suddenly sweating so severely that they couldn't get the stickers on his chest for an EKG. A nurse was grabbing handfuls of tissues trying to keep his skin dry long enough to make them stick but he was absolutely drenched. Like, the floor was wet underneath his chair! They went through 2 or 3 sets of stickers before they got them to stick and were able to start the test. The test was showing that his heart was all over the place. He came to long enough to tell her he was having chest pain, then starting convulsing again. Claire was crying and asking what was wrong with daddy, Cameron was crying because he was also sick and thought he was going to puke, and I felt like I was in a movie, or watching myself in a dream, as I stood there patting Blake's cheeks and calling his name trying to get him to come to long enough to tell her what else was wrong. It was absolutely terrifying because there was not a thing I could do to help him. The paramedics got there just after we got him on some oxygen and they took him to the hospital. They got him stabilized on the way there and I am so thankful because I was for sure thinking I was never going to see my husband alive again. After they took him away the urgent care staff was trying to get the room cleaned up so that they could see Cameron. Claire and Cam had been sitting with some of the staff and had some stickers and I don't know what else. Claire had to go to the bathroom first so I took her really quick while a nurse still sat with Cameron. As we walked in the bathroom I called my mom to let her know about Blake and then suddenly felt a rush of something warm after I got Claire on the potty. I knew it wasn't anything good. I turned around to check myself while Claire was potting so she didn't see and saw lots of red blood on the toilet paper. I was still on the phone at this point with my mom, had just got done telling her about Blake and then said something along the lines of "Oh my gosh, I'm bleeding a lot, I need to go so I can clean myself up and get someone to take Claire." I started crying and honestly don't remember most of what I said to her on the phone, but it was not a great call for any mother to get I'm sure. So, sorry mom! 😬 We weren't sure at this point if he had covid, blood clots, pneumonia, or something else, but this was turning out to be the night from hell. I thought my husband was dying and that I was very likely losing our miracle baby on top of it. After I got myself cleaned up and assessed that I wasn't hemorrhaging, I went to go find the kids and see what I needed to do about Blake after we left. Cameron's ears, chest and throat checked out good and he just needed some more tylenol for the fever, as it was likely viral. Blake's doctor recommended that I go to the ER for an ultrasound to make sure me and baby were alright. But I was like who is going to watch my kids?!? I luckily have an awesome church family group, and sweet Emily came to sit with the kids while I went to go get checked out and see about Blake. So extremely grateful for her! Claire loved her. Their family had already had covid so she wasn't worried about being around the kids or in our home. I ended up being there for 4.5 hrs, gah. Luckily it didn't feel like it. But about an hour after I got there a nurse came to tell me that they were releasing Blake and needed his insurance information. I was absolutely floored and about completely wigged out at that point. I asked to speak to his nurse or doctor to find out why on earth they were discharging him after having convulsions, low oxygen, and chest pain only 2.5 hours earlier! She said he tested positive for covid and xrays show he had pneumonia. He now had a stable oxygen level (duh, because they had him on oxygen!) so she said that there was nothing they could do for him. I was like...umm, keep him on oxygen, monitor his chest pain?! Geeze, total morons! So, they gave him a zpak, discharged him, and his super sick self sat IN THE ER WAITING ROOM WITH ME! Can you believe they did that?! I was glad though for his company because I was really nervous for the ultrasound and was trying to prep myself for the bad news. Plus, I was happy to have him with me still on hospital grounds for an additional couple of hrs to make sure he didn't seize or have low oxygen again. Such awful care for someone so ill! Anyways, I was really expecting bad news. The ultrasound tech was a super sweet, nice guy and made friendly conversation to ease my stress. He apologized that I couldn't see the screen and he was not able to tell me anything per hospital policy, but that a doctor would read my results soon and call me back. We sat there for over an hour waiting to be called back, the ER was packed. I finally asked how much longer it was going to be because it was going on 3am and I really needed to relieve my babysitter and get my extremely ill husband home to rest. They called me back about 20 mins later and the ER doctor said everything looked great. Baby was measuring 7 wks 3 days and had a heart rate of 139!! They moved my due date to 12/19 from 12/22. I was sooo relieved!! I couldn't have handled another loss, especially this way. They didn't mention any bleeds, and said that urinary tract infections are the most common cause for bleeding during pregnancy. Apparently I had one and didn't know it. So he prescribed rest, an antibiotic, and following up with an obgyn in a few days. But I feel like the bleeding was definitely stress related. As we wheeled Blake out of there I was so very grateful that I had a sweet husband to bring home still! And that our baby was ok afterall. This has been suuuch and emotional week. The thought of losing him was the WORST feeling in the world. Our night was awful but it could have been much, much worse! I am so grateful to the awesome paramedics who got him stabilized, and that one of them called me right before I was heading to the hospital to let me know Blake was stable and doing better. That was a huuuge relief. Blake's awesome doctor, Rachael, at Urgent Care called to check on him the next day and was not happy to find out that they had discharged him so quickly and only prescribed a zpak. She had me bring him back down there at no cost and she gave him shots of both steroids and a strong antibiotic in his rear, along with an inhaler. She has called 3 times to check on him since. I am so, so grateful for her care and compassion! She said her and the other staff were very worried about our family and was so relieved to hear that the baby looked ok. Blake's oxygen has been around 94 to 96 but has gotten as low as 90 to 92. So Rachael prescribed him a different inhaler and some Zofran for his nausea. These strong antibiotics can be very hard on the stomach. Poor dude. I am sooo happy to say that after he was seen again at urgent care and received the injections, that he looks much better. He is still very weak and very sick, but he is improving so that's great. He has a long recovery ahead of him but I am just so happy he is still with us! I called yesterday to get Cam's covid test results and the lady who answered knew who I was and asked all about Blake, me, and Cam. She was so relieved to hear he was alright and that we hadn't lost the baby. Apparently we have been the talk of urgent care, ha ha. She told me that I am the calmest mother and wife she has ever seen in an emergency situation. She said I was calm, quiet, and so loving towards my kids while calming them. I wanted to cry when she said that because I was utterly terrified on the inside while everything was going on, but I didn't feel the need to freak out and scare my small children more so than they already were. She said more women need to take lessons from me on how to behave. I laughed when she said that but I was thinking that I don't really blame the ones who do completely lose it, ha ha. You never really know how you're going to react in situations like that until it is happening. I did want to yell "Oh my gosh, what is happening?!? He is shaking and sweating like crazy and breathing weird! I think he's dying!! Help him!" Apparently they get some outrageous behavior at urgent care or something? Anyways, my bleeding has lessened a lot and is mostly just spotting now. It isn't constant and only happens if I do too much, so I have been taking it easy. Dr Conway from the fertility center said she wants me on Pelvic Rest until I'm seen at the obgyns office and to take it easy. When I found out what that means I laughed, because the likelihood of Blake and I doing any funny business anytime soon is very unlikely 🤣 So grateful for my sweet mom and sister who dropped everything and drove through the night to get to us!! They are cleaning my house, doing my laundry, taking care of the kids and Blake, cooking, and letting me nap! I have been suffering from shock and exhaustion from the horror of it all, and from lack of sleep of course. I got a good nap yesterday and slept better last night than any night yet, so I feel more human today. My mom thinks it'll take me a few more days at least to get over the shock of everything. I finally was rested enough today that I could cry about everything, so that helped a lot. Cameron hasn't said too much about things, but poor Claire is very upset about what happened. She was telling my mom about it a couple days ago. Poor little girl was even trying to "help them fix Daddy." They had to take them both out of the room because she kept getting in their way. I hope that Blake recovers quickly and doesn't have any further complications, and we are crossing our fingers that baby checks out good still this coming week! Oh, and a quick Public Service Announcement...listen to your wife and go to the doctor if you have a high fever for more than a few days!! Don't almost let yourself die at home in bed!! Thank you. His doctor said he is very lucky to be here and she's glad we weren't even 20 mins longer or else things would have very likely ended badly. Especially if he refused to go in at all. She said he very well could have passed away at home that evening. Thanks SO MUCH to my mom and sister for coming and helping, and to my in-laws for offering!

A big thumbs down for our date night in the ER!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment