Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Home again, hallelujah!! - Preeclampsia, amazing nurses, and a dragon!

We are soooo happy to report that we only had to stay ONE night in the hospital! Got home yesterday evening and passed the heck out. So happy because I got less than 2.5 hours of sleep there and Blake got maybe 5. Boo! Not good when you are exhausted, already stressed and have high blood pressure. Anyway, I ended up not even having to be admitted, was just under observation for my blood pressure and the 24 hour urine test for Preeclampsia/Toxemia. Sadly, I did fail my urine test. Doctor doesn't like to see numbers above 300 and I came back at 360. So my case is considered mild for the moment thankfully (my nurses have seen results in the 1000s), but that can change fast. Preeclampsia/Toxemia is not something to take lightly. It can cause liver and kidney failure in myself, stroke, seizures, etc., if it gets out of control. The babies are also at risk for stroke, placental abruption, and other not good things. So, we are praying hard that my low dose blood pressure meds keep my pressure below the scary point so that these precious little ones can still grow. We are luckyyy if they're in the 3-4 pound range right now, they still need to chub up! Preemie clothes would drown them right now, and they're verrry small clothes. I will be 31 weeks on Friday though, yay!!! Only 5 weeks til full term, we have been unbelievably blessed! We can do this!

As far as the blood pressure, anything over 140/90 is a concern, and I'm supposed to head straight back to OB triage if it's 160/105 or over. Luckily my meds are keeping me around 130/80 for now. Doctor said we could have a few days, a week, or a few weeks. You just never know how fast the sickness will progress, but we are so relieved to be resting at home for now. I was so surprised when they said we could go home! He was really happy with blood work though, so my liver and kidneys are still good. The condition can't go away unfortunately, only delivery can make that happen. So, we're on the lookout for increased swelling in my face and hands, headaches that don't go away with Tylenol, an increase in the shiney lights I am seeing once in awhile, liver pain, etc. And of course contractions as well. I've been feeling an increase in pressure and more discomfort. Was registering small contractions on the monitors while at the hospital, but it's mostly irritability. Still have only felt the one painful one so far and it was over quickly.

While at the hospital, I received another round of steroid shots for the babies lungs, which is great! They still look awesome! They gave the nurses grief with the belly monitors again, so we know they're ok, he he. And I didn't end up getting an IV or anything, so I'm not covered in bruises, yay! So happy that my doctors trusted me to be good at home, we would have been looking at weeks in the hospital most likely. We're sooo grateful for attentive and cautious doctors, amazing, hilarious, and comforting nurses (Cindy is amazing!!), and for all of your prayers and support!

A not so fun recent change...holy stinkin heartburn!! Like, bring you to tears bad. We're way past regular pregnancy indigestion. It started about two days before the hospital and has just gotten worse. I feel like someone has poured acid or nail polish remover down my throat and then lit it on fire. Not fun. I'm sure stress doesn't help, though I'm trying my best to relax. Doing pretty good, although I can't help but feel like a giant ticking time bomb, lol!! But, hello Prilosec, please work! Of course being laid down constantly because of bed rest doesn't help. With that, and the increased pressure of my growing uterus pushing up on my diaphragm, it keeps the stomach sphincter open that normally isn't. So, that results in free flowing magma, ha ha. I'm a momma dragon. So grateful the twinnies are still in there, I will be a dragon for as long as needed!!

Follow up with Dr O. and the high risk office as well on Thursday :) At delivery, if I haven't gotten too sick from the preeclampsia, we are still hoping for a natural birth! Especially since they're both still cephalic (head down). Much quicker recovery time. If my pressure is too high or my liver and kidneys aren't looking good, a csection it is. Either way, we will be thrilled beyond belief to welcome these two precious little souls that found their way to us in such a special way!

1 comment:

  1. I drank Mylanta for the heartburn, the liquid kind is all that even touched mine with Matt & added bonus it is full of calcium!! Ask doc is you can take it! Praying and praying for you all!!

    ReplyDelete