Sunday, May 29, 2016

Week 2 of Parenthood! - Circumcision, exhaustion & diapers galore!

Well, we have survived week two of parenthood! Boy has it been BUSY. Feedings, changings, rockabyes, baths, pictures galore, sleeping (them not us, ha ha!), crying (me not them, ha ha! - man hormones are a bummer), etc. We go through about 25 diapers a day and I haven't even assessed how much formula. All we know is that it's a lot and that it's expensive! Nice to be able to supplement a little with breastmilk though - pediatrician wants them on mostly formula for the first while for weight gaining purposes.

 The babies were two weeks old on Friday! They're the cutest, sweetest, funniest and best babies ever. They're tons of work but they're soo worth it. I get about 3 hours of sleep a night, 5 on a good night. So glad the Lord made mommies able to still mostly function after having babies. Soo tired. So glad my trooper of a mom is still here for a few more days, she has stayed up late with the babies several nights so I could sleep. Can't heal without sleep. The twins eat every three hours, sometimes every two and a half, and are growing great! Claire can't fit as much as Cameron but they're both good little eaters. Neither are afraid to let us know when they're hungry, especially Cameron, ha ha. Takes a lot to rile up Claire. For now they're sleeping in their bassinet in our room. They hang out and sleep in the pack and play downstairs during the day. We will move them to their crib in their room at night when they're a little bigger...because right now I'm the freak of a new mom who jumps up at almost every sound, grunt, cough, squeak, and sigh to make sure they're ok and still breathing, lol. Blake and I joke about attaching a tiny mirror to something so we can hold it up to their noses to make sure they're still breathing, ha ha. Being a new parent is stressful sometimes!

They're so precious. We keep saying how weird it'd be to only have just one of them. We just can't imagine it! These two sweetpeas were definitely meant to come to us as a cute little pair. It was the same when I was pregnant, my sister was like it'd be so weird to be pregnant with two! And I was like I think it'd be weird to not be, ha ha! They love to snuggle eachother and are so sweet. They make us insanely happy and weak in the knees. They have the sweetest spirits, cutest little round toad bellies, and the softest, tiniest feet. My Dad and baby sister were able to come visit, soo fun! These babies love their Papa, Grammy and Auntie. It still blows my mind that my family is visiting US because we have babies! Soo amazing!

 
 
 

 

Cameron is still the attention hog, ha ha. He has to be snuggled longer after feedings and isn't afraid to let out a sad little whimper or screech to let us know when he needs more cuddles or food. His sweet little face and chubby cheeks are to die for! We can't get enough. I kiss his cheeks constantly. He smells so good. He makes the cutest faces, whether it's his one eye open owl face or kissy fish lips face. He is also very talented and can sprinkle over a few feet! He goes through more clothes and blankets than sissy for sure. He lovvves his binky and being rocked. I call him Maggie sometimes, the baby from The Simpsons who sucks her pacifier super loud, lol. But Grammy says we have to call him Magnus and not Maggie cause he's a boy, he he.

Big news, he survived his circumcision on Monday. Well, Mommy and Daddy survived that is. It was so sad!! It was really hard to take him but we feel it is a healthy decision. We waited in the waiting area but we could still hear our sweet baby boy wailing from the back :'( He did great though and it is healing nicely. He last weighed in at 5 lbs 9.5 oz. So he's gained just over a half pound, yay! You can definitely feel a difference when holding him. The pediatrician is happy with his weight gain so I'm not going to switch them back to the higher calorie formula, it was too rich for their little tummies. Claire especially didn't do well on it. She spit up really bad at the hospital and all her airways were clogged and she turned purple. Mom and Dad frrreaked out but quickly grabbed the boogie sucker and got her breathing again. Talk about scary!!
 
 
 

Claire is an old soul. She is so patient, sweet, and loves to just calmly look around. She eats and goes right back to sleep or just lays there and happily hangs out. She hardly cries and has the sweetest little way about her. Takes a lot to make her angry, she's like Daddy that way. Cameron's like Mommy, a little more high strung. Just a little though ;) She has the cutest little tongue you've ever seen. She loves to stretch out her super long arms and legs and actually enjoys her baths, unlike brother. She has beautiful skin and giggles the most adorable heart exploding giggle in her sleep. We will see what she weighs in two weeks for their one month check up. Her last weight was 4 lbs 8 oz about a week ago. She is starting to chub up, her face and legs are more full looking. She looks so dang cute in her birth announcement photos that I took, can't wait to post them later! Most beautiful baby girl ever...
 
 
 

I am finally starting to feel better. It's odd I've been so miserable AFTER delivery. Most women pregnant with twins suffer with ciatica, tendinitis, and extreme back pain while they're pregnant. Not after. But, I'm a freak. And, bed rest did not do me any favors. Body is such a mess. I am however impressed with how fast my belly has gone down. My mom and sister said I look amazing for having twins only two weeks ago. The female human body is miraculous though! It's amazing what it can go through and bounce back from.

I didn't need an episiotomy when delivering, probably because the babies were small. But, I did suffer a tear. Dr. O thinks it was from one of the babies fingernails/hands on the way out. He kept calling it a "dent or scratch". But I started experiencing extreme pain a couple days after being home so I went in to have the PA take a look. Her words were, "Oh honey! This is NOT a scratch! This is a 4 cm long laceration." She said Dr. O tries to not freak out his patients by using the term laceration or tear, but that was in fact exactly what it was, ha ha. They weren't able to do any additional stitches or sear it shut with silver nitrate because the risk of infection, so I've powered through and it's finally starting to feel somewhat better today. Talk about excruciating though!! That has been my biggest struggle, along with my back pain and pure exhaustion. I look like a peg legged pirate walking around. But, these two sweet snowflakes are worth every bit of pain!! Sorry if that's tmi, but that's the reality of having babies. And this is a baby blog afterall.

Nursing didn't go exactly as I had hoped. Was hoping to be a total milk cow because I really wanted to try it out. But like I mentioned before, the pediatrician wants them mostly on formula for the first bit for weight gain. So, I pump and supplement that way. The babies had some trouble latching in the beginning because their mouths were so tiny, and Cameron doesn't have the patience. But Claire has done better recently with the shields, so I hope once my milk decides to come in better that it'll all work out. Nursing is so much cheaper than formula!

Thank you for your support, kind words, and love! We are in heaven! A very tirrred heaven, but heaven none the less!

No comments:

Post a Comment